State Museum of Contemporary Art
The State Museum of Contemporary Art is situated in the northeast wing of the Moni Lazariston complex, with a total area of 3,300 square meters. The building was modified into a museum according to modern international standards. The exhibition halls of the museum permanently house part of the Costakis Collection, which alternates periodically.
Since the Summer of 2001, the museum ows another exhibition place at the Port of Thessaloniki, the Warehouse B1 which houses the Museum's periodical exhibitions as well as the exhibitions organized by the Center of Contemporary Art, the autonimous section of the SMCA.
Today, it is one of the most prominent foundations that hosts and projects works of modern and contemporary art, using planning tactics implemented in six basic thematic actions:
● the administration of the most significant Russian Avant-Garde Collection outside Russia, the Costakis Collection, by organizing original productions, co-productions and scientific research programmes in Greece and abroad,
● the record and promotion of the contemporary Greek art as well as the creation and support of common grounds for effective dialogue between Greek artists and artists from Europe and all over the world,
● the support of the synthesis of arts as well as the reinforcement of innovative and alternative artistic suggestions,
● the substantial cooperation and netting with cultural institutions in Greece, Europe and abroad,
● the usage of the most modern digital technologies in all its communication fields, the development of web applications as well as the creation of a web portal,
● the implementation of innovative educational programmes as well as access programmes for all social groups.