b.1895 (Volmar, Latvia) – d. 1938.
He studied at the Teachers’ Seminary in Volmar (1912), at the Riga Art School (1912-15), at the School of the Society for the Encouragement (1915-17) at the SVOMAS and at the VKhUTEMAS. Member of the UNOVIS group and later of the INKhUK, he collaborated with Kazimir Malevich. In1922, he designed a series of agitational stands and radio orators of the fifth anniversary of October Revolution and the Fourth Congress of COMINTERN. He was preoccupied among others with graphic design, posters, typography, photography, constrictions, as well as with the production of revolutionary festivals. In 1923-25 he worked for LEF magazine and from 1924 to 1930 he taught at the VKhUTEMAS, where he proposed the creation of a “Studio of the Revolution”, which aimed to educating the artists on propaganda art productions. In 1928 he became co-founder of “October” group and he was one of the designers of the Soviet Pavilion at the Paris World Fair in1937. He was arrested and executed in 1938.
Holiday opening hours
Tue-Wed-Fri-Sat-Sun 10:00-18:00, Thu 10:00-22:00, Mon closed
24, 25, 26, 31 December 2017 & 1 & 6 January 2018: closed